Interesting facts about English part 2
Here a few more interesting facts about English…
- The word “bookkeeper” (along with its associate “bookkeeping“) is the only unhyphenated English word with three consecutive double letters. Other such words, like “sweet-toothed“, require a hyphen to be readily readable.
- The word “triskaidekaphobia” means “extreme fear of the number 13”. This superstition is related to “paraskevidekatriaphobia“, which means “fear of Friday the 13th”.
- More English words begin with the letter “s” than with any other letter.
- A preposition is always followed by a noun (ie noun, proper noun, pronoun, noun group, gerund).
- The word “uncopyrightable” is the longest English word in normal use that contains no letter more than once.